What should I expect after arthroscopic knee surgery?

Dr. Kristofer J. Jones, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

After arthroscopic knee surgery, you should expect to use a knee brace for support and comfort, as well as crutches for an assistive walking device. After arthroscopic knee surgery, it is important to control swelling, which can be managed with elevation of the affected extremity and cryotherapy and/or compression therapy. Because arthroscopic surgery is minimally invasive, postoperative pain is typically quite manageable and recovery is accelerated.

After arthroscopic knee surgery, expect a recovery time of about a week, during which you'll do a range of motion exercises.

After arthroscopic knee surgery, nurses will monitor your vital signs (temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure) in a recovery room. You'll be able to go home as soon as your vital signs are good and you are fully awake and can move to a chair or stand and walk—usually in one or two hours.

The nurses or medical team will discuss the outcome of your surgery and instructions for caring for yourself at home. You may not remember this information. Ask a friend or family member to take notes.

Continue Learning about Arthroscopy

Who is a candidate for hip arthroscopy?
Capital Regional Medical CenterCapital Regional Medical Center
Hip arthroscopy can be an effective solution for a wide range of people, from athletes of all ages t...
When can I return to physical activities after shoulder arthroscopy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
How soon you can return to various activities after shoulder arthroscopy depends on how much you...
What symptoms justify having hip arthroscopy surgery?
Hugh S. West Jr., MDHugh S. West Jr., MD
Hip arthroscopy surgery may be justified if:you have pain in the front of your hip, or groin area hi...
What exercises can I do after arthroscopic knee surgery?
To help you regain strength, balance, and range of motion in your legs and knees -- and prevent bloo...