What is chondroplasty?

Chondroplasty involves the removal of damaged cartilage from the joint using an arthroscopic procedure. Next, a sample of healthy cartilage is removed and grown in a laboratory culture for roughly one week. The newly grown cartilage cells (chondrocytes), which are believed to prompt the repair of damaged tissue, are then put back into the joint. This procedure may be useful in younger people who are at risk of developing osteoarthritis because of defective joint surfaces.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Arthroscopy

How effective are hip arthroscopy surgeries?
Hugh S. West Jr., MDHugh S. West Jr., MD
“Hip arthroscopy is arguably the most rapidly growing field in orthopedic surgery.” This quote is t...
When should I call my doctor after arthroscopic knee surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Watch for problems after your arthroscopic knee surgery, and call your doctor if you experience any ...
Well I be in pain after arthroscopic surgery?
Tracy Ng, DOTracy Ng, DO
After arthroscopic surgery, expect pain and swelling for the first few days. Watch Tracy Ng, DO, of ...
What exercises can I do after arthroscopic knee surgery?
To help you regain strength, balance, and range of motion in your legs and knees -- and prevent bloo...