How should I care for my incisions after shoulder arthroscopy?

Keeping your incisions clean and free of infection will help you heal faster and prevent complications associated with shoulder arthroscopy.
  • Protect your incisions. You will have a thick dressing on your shoulder. Leave it in place until your healthcare providers say you can remove it. This may be a few days after surgery.
  • Keep your incisions dry. For the first few days, you'll need to take a sponge bath. You may not shower until after your dressing is removed. You may not take a bath until your wounds are healed, usually about 2 to 3 weeks after surgery. Fluid may leak from your incisions. This is fluid that was used in your shoulder to help with the procedure and is not a problem. If your dressing gets very wet, though, ask your healthcare providers if it should be replaced or if you should place another dressing over the first one.
  • Your sutures (stitches) will be removed about 7 to 10 days after your surgery.

Continue Learning about Arthroscopy

What are the potential benefits of arthroscopic knee surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Potential benefits of arthroscopic knee surgery include:Accurate diagnosis. The arthroscopic image h...
What is hip arthroscopy?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Hip arthroscopy is surgery of the hip using tiny 1cm portals, a 70 degree camera and small instrumen...
What happens after knee arthroscopy surgery?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
Recovery from arthroscopic knee surgery typically involves 1-2 hours in the recovery room with the r...
How can I recover from shoulder arthroscopy?
After shoulder arthroscopy, your healthcare providers will give you detailed information about your ...