Why should I see my doctor about arthritis?

There are many different types of arthritis. Different types have different treatments. It is important that you see your doctor to have your arthritis evaluated and treated appropriately.
Tatiana P. Ivan, MD
Family Medicine
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggests that you see your doctor about arthritis if you have pain, stiffness or swelling in or around one or more of your joints. It is important to keep in mind that there are many forms of arthritis, and a specific diagnosis of the type you have may help to direct the proper treatment.

The earlier your primary doctor can understand and pinpoint your type of arthritis, the earlier treatment can be started. Your doctor can help you start making healthy lifestyle changes to help your arthritis.

Those lifestyle changes likely will include exercise, changes in diet and medications to control pain and inflammation. Maintaining a healthy weight has proven to alleviate arthritic pain, especially related to back and knee pain, as well as minimize joint damage and improving functionality.

Continue Learning about Arthritis