What is basal joint arthritis?

Basal joint arthritis is wear-and-tear or use-and-abuse arthritis that affects the base of the thumb. It's a very common condition that occurs more often in women than in men, and usually happens after age 40.

A person's risk of this condition depends largely on their genetics and how they use their hands throughout life. Because of this, it's difficult to prevent this type of arthritis. The main symptom is pain at or near the base of the thumb, where the thumb joins the wrist.

Continue Learning about Arthritis

Good News for Hurting Hips
Good News for Hurting Hips
If your hips hurt, you might be worrying that today’s arthritis is tomorrow’s hip-replacement surgery. But it’s quite possible that the pain stems fr...
What parts of the body are targeted by axial spondyloarthritis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Axial spondyloarthritis, or axial spa for short, targets mainly the spine and pelvis, causing pain a...
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Reduce stress and relieve arthritis pain naturally by following this gentle sequence of nine yoga poses.
How Does Psoriatic Arthritis Damage My Body?