What happens in the body of someone with axial spondyloarthritis?

In axial spondyloarthritis, or axial spa for short, the immune system gets confused and, instead of attacking germs, starts attacking the joints and bones, particularly the spine and sacroiliac joints.This makes the joints swollen and hard to move. The attacks also make the bones painful and stiff. This is known as inflammation. After many years of attack, the bones in the spine can fuse together.

Continue Learning about Arthritis

Fight Knee Arthritis with 6,000 Steps a Day
If you’re troubled by knee arthritis, here’s a number to keep in mind: 6000. What’s so special about that number? Research suggests that walking just...
Is arthritis a normal part of aging?
Arthritis commonly develops as you grow older, and not much can be done to stop it. However, you can...
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Reduce stress and relieve arthritis pain naturally by following this gentle sequence of nine yoga poses.
How Does Psoriatic Arthritis Damage My Body?