What are the different types of juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA)?

There are many different types of juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA). The main ones are the following:

• Oligoarticular. Oligoarticular is the most common type of JIA. Articular means joint in Latin and oligo is Greek for a few. So oligoarticular JIA only affects a few joints, usually four or less. It normally affects big joints, like the knees, wrists or ankles.
  • Polyarticular. Polyarticular JIA affects five or more joints. Poly means many.
  • Systemic. Systemic JIA is the most serious. It affects the whole body.
  • Psoriatic. In psoriatic JIA, arthritis is combined with the skin rash known as psoriasis, or nail changes.
  • Enthesitis-related. Sometimes in JIA, the immune army attacks tendons and ligaments. That’s called enthesitis-related arthritis, or ERA. Tendons are the ropes that hold muscles onto bones. Enthesis is the name of the places where tendons attach to bones.

Continue Learning about Arthritis

3 Ways to Ease Pain from Thumb Arthritis
Thumbs are an essential part of your hands. Unfortunately, for many women (10 to 20 times as many as men) age 40 and older, thumb arthritis makes the ...
Why can living with axial spondyolarthritis be so difficult?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Living with axial spondyloarthritis, or axial spa for short, can be difficult because pain and stiff...
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Reduce stress and relieve arthritis pain naturally by following this gentle sequence of nine yoga poses.
What Else Can I Do to Manage My Psoriatic Arthritis?