How can I prepare for a doctor's appointment for arthritis in my knee?

Answer these questions and then take them with you to your next appointment for your knee osteoarthritis. Understanding exactly how you're feeling is the best way for your doctor to determine the right course of treatment for you.

1. How much knee pain do you currently experience with the following activities?

If your pain varies, use circles to indicate the pain on good days and squares for the pain on bad days.

1 = No pain  5 = Lots of pain

• Walking 1 2 3 4 5
  • Going up or down stairs 1 2 3 4 5
  • At night while in bed 1 2 3 4 5
  • Sitting or lying down 1 2 3 4 5
  • Standing 1 2 3 4 5
  • Driving 1 2 3 4 5

2. Describe your knee pain during the past month.

Overall, is the pain better or worse? How many bad days did you have? What activities have become difficult to do because of your knee pain?

3. List other questions for your doctor, in order of importance.

Continue Learning about Arthritis

Simple Stretches to Ease Joint Pain
Simple Stretches to Ease Joint Pain
Aching, discomfort, pain, stiffness—almost 15 million Americans experience symptoms of severe arthritis-related joint pain. In fact, the number of Ame...
How can physical and occupational therapists help treat JIA?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Physical and occupational therapists help treat people with juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) by g...
When should I see a doctor for arthritis pain?
You should see a doctor for any arthritis pain, primarily because it is important to get an accurate...
How can I slow the progression of arthritis?
 Wade Kenney Wade Kenney
An average of 20% of adults have arthritis. In this video, Wade Kenney, MD, explains methods to prev...