How is juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) diagnosed?

To diagnose juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), doctors have to run tests. Usually, the doctors suspect it’s JIA from people's symptoms and from examining them. Doctors may also do tests such as a blood test and urine test to look for different causes of arthritis, including infection. They may also do tests, like an ultrasound, an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), an x-ray or a bone scan, that look inside people's joints. Not everyone needs all of these tests. It’s different for everyone.

Continue Learning about Arthritis

How Bad Is Your Pain? Printable Arthritis Pain Scale
Does your doctor have a good idea of how your arthritis pain affects your everyday life? Pain is often hard to describe. And pain affects each of us d...
What are the symptoms of axial spondyloarthritis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The most common symptom for axial spondyloarthritis, or axial spa for short, is low back and buttock...
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Reduce stress and relieve arthritis pain naturally by following this gentle sequence of nine yoga poses.
If I Have Psoriasis, Will I Also Have Psoriatic Arthritis?