How does arthritis affect the body?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Different types of arthritis can affect the body in different ways, but in most types, the joints are damaged. Bone, cartilage, and other tissues in the joints may be broken down for various reasons, and sometimes when new tissue grows in, the joints can become enlarged. Almost any joint can be affected, but commonly-affected joints include knees, hips, wrists, hands, and spine. Over time, rheumatoid arthritis can lead to joint dislocation or disfiguration. Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis can sometimes affect the eyes, and if those eye issues are left untreated, it can lead to cataracts, glaucoma, and blindness. Other types of arthritis may lead to debilitating pain and loss of strength in and around the joint.

Continue Learning about Arthritis

Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
If you suffer from arthritis, stretching and flexing on a yoga mat may seem like the last thing you’d want to do. But gentle yoga poses may...
What Are the Main Treatments for Psoriatic Arthritis?
What Is Psoriatic Arthritis?
What Is Psoriatic Arthritis?
How Can I Slow the Progression of Arthritis?