How does an arthritic joint differ from a healthy joint?

Arthritic joints are different from healthy joints in the following ways: They have less lubrication, more synovial inflammation, less cartilage at the ends of the bones, more bone spurs from joint instability, reactive bone marrow cysts and thickening of the bone at the joints since there is a loss of some of the cartilage that normally lies over the bone.

An arthritic joint differs from a healthy joint in that a healthy joint should be covered with cartilage, like the glistening of a chicken bone. Joints need that to slide smooth and pain-free. In an arthritic joint there is no cartilage.

On an x-ray, cartilage looks like an empty space even though it’s filled with cartilage. Doctors can tell how thick that cartilage is by getting x-rays.

In an x-ray of an osteoarthritic joint, there's no cartilage. The bone just rubs on the bone. There may be a degenerative cyst, which is a response to the wear-and-tear changes. That's typical of osteoarthritis.

Rheumatoid arthritis is not just a wearing out, it's a disease that eats up the joint. An x-ray will show a global loss of the cartilage space. That's because the inflammatory processes destroyed cartilage more globally.

Continue Learning about Arthritis

Take the Stress out of Arthritis
Take the Stress out of Arthritis
Did you know that your emotions can affect your joint health? It's true. Negative emotions like chronic stress, worry, and anxiety not only reduce you...
What mistakes should I avoid when discussing knee arthritis with my doctor?
If you're experiencing pain from osteoarthritis of the knee, knowing how to talk about it with y...
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Reduce stress and relieve arthritis pain naturally by following this gentle sequence of nine yoga poses.
How Can I Slow the Progression of Arthritis?