What is the treatment for severe ankle arthritis?

An estimated 50,000 people a year experience end-stage ankle arthritis, in which the ankle cartilage has worn away completely, causing painful bone-on-bone contact and some level of disability. Until lately, such patients have had only one surgical option: ankle fusion surgery. However, in the past 10 years or so, total ankle replacement surgery has been found to be a safe and effective treatment option for select patients with ankle arthritis. In many patients, total ankle replacement surgery substantially improves function, reduces pain, and allows for an improved quality of life. Patient mobility and quality-of-life factors contribute to longer independent living and to controlling overall healthcare costs.

Continue Learning about Arthritis Treatment

What are the benefits of occupational and physical therapy for arthritis?
Physiotherapy, or physical therapy, has been found to be effective in reducing pain, increasing ...
Why should I see my doctor about arthritis?
There are many different types of arthritis. Different types have different treatments. It is import...
What Is the Long-Term Prognosis of Psoriatic Arthritis?
What Is Psoriatic Arthritis?
What Is Psoriatic Arthritis?