How long does it take to recover from surgery for basal joint arthritis?

Surgery for basal joint arthritis is usually done as an outpatient procedure. Sometimes an overnight stay is needed for pain control. The surgery itself usually takes an hour to an hour and a half.

It is a quite intensive surgery, so it takes a significant amount of time to fully recover from it. But pain relief is usually excellent. And the surgery usually gives lasting relief, so the person is able to maintain mobility and use of the hand for almost all activities of daily living. Usually within two weeks after surgery, pain is greatly reduced as compared with the first couple of days after surgery. As with most surgeries, the first day or two after surgery is the most uncomfortable time. Full, normal use of the hand usually is achieved at around the 12-week mark.

Continue Learning about Arthritis Treatment

Can acupuncture help treat arthritis?
Acupuncture can be complementary or an alternative treatment to manage pain from arthritis. Acupunct...
What is a Slow Medicine treatment approach to arthritis?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
If you do not have to take medication as often, there are fewer pill bottles to open, fewer pills to...
What Else Can I Do to Manage My Psoriatic Arthritis?
How Can Exercise Help Me Manage Psoriatic Arthritis?