How do cherries ease arthritis symptoms?

Bing cherries have been shown to reduce inflammation and may help with arthritis pain. They contain substances with anti-inflammatory properties. Have a couple of Bing cherries—fresh or dried—a day. I'm told cherry juice works as well. Add willow bark (so you get 120 to 240 milligrams of the active component called salicin, like aspirin—I like the aspirin itself) and Boswellia (also called frankincense) at 1,000 milligrams a day. That's a powerful herbal mix for settling down inflammation.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...
Dr. Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Specialist

Cherries are a traditional folk medicine remedy for arthritis. They are rich in antioxidants such as flavonoids (including quercetin, a flavonoid that is believed to have particularly potent antioxidant activity), vitamin C, and beta-carotene. Several studies have shown that consuming might be as effective in relieving pain as medications such as aspirin, and several studies have suggested a decrease in blood levels of uric acid, which can precipitate an attack of gout, an arthritis-like disorder. Blood markers for inflammation also tended to drop.

Although cherries can be obtained from your diet, the quantities needed to show an effect are higher than may be reasonable to consume—up to half a pound or more per day or as many as one or more glasses of cherry juice. Additionally, they may not be available much of the year, and may have more calories than are good for you.

If you are unable to get cherries or cherry juice from your diet, a supplement is recommended. Cherry supplements are available in both liquid and capsule forms. The recommended dosage is 2,000 mg per day of cherry fruit extract, taken in 2-4 divided dosages.

The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Arthritis Treatment

What are the treatment options for arthritis?
With many forms of arthritis, some of the most effective treatment options may include a combination...
What types of injections are used for arthritis?
Michael O'Rourke, MDMichael O'Rourke, MD
Cortisone is used in patients who have moderate arthritis and viscosupplementation (lubricant in...
Does Having Psoriatic Arthritis Increase My Risk for Having Other Forms of Arthritis?
What Is the Long-Term Prognosis of Psoriatic Arthritis?