What is arteriosclerosis obliterans?

Arteriosclerosis obliterans, or peripheral artery disease, occurs when arterial plaque and fat deposits build up in the arteries that feed the limbs. This makes the arteries too narrow to allow a sufficient blood flow to the extremities, especially the legs. Healthy arteries dilate to allow for heavier blood flow when it is needed, for instance, when you are exercising. If you suffer from arteriosclerosis obliterans, the walls of your arteries could stiffen and lose their ability to dilate when necessary. Eventually, your arteries could become so narrow that blood flow is always insufficient, even when you are at rest.

Continue Learning about Arteriosclerosis

What parts of the body are affected by medial calcific sclerosis?
Medial calcific sclerosis usually affects the inner walls of the arteries, particularly in the lower...
How can I prepare to see my doctor about arteriosclerosis obliterans?
You can prepare for your appointment to diagnose arteriosclerosis obliterans by making a complete li...
What is arteriosclerosis?
Arteriosclerosis refers to hardening and stiffening of the arteries over time so they are less flexi...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with arteriolosclerosis?
Caring for someone with arteriolosclerosis is about supporting the person's new, healthy lifestyle, ...