What is arteriolosclerosis?

Arteriolosclerosis is a disease affecting the arterioles, or small blood vessels, that carry important nutrients, blood, and oxygen to the body's organs. It causes the middle and inside portions of the arterioles to become thick and rigid. When these blood vessels become stiff, it becomes difficult for blood to get where it needs to go. It mostly affects the kidneys, nerves, and eyes. Arteriolosclerosis is often diagnosed in people with diabetes and high blood pressure, two conditions, which place great, stress on the walls of the arterioles. Arteriolosclerosis is one of three diseases categorized as arteriosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries. Arteriolosclerosis restricts the vessels that connect arteries and tiny capillaries.

Continue Learning about Arteriosclerosis

What is cerebral arteriosclerosis?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Cerebral arteriosclerosis is the result of the thickening and hardening of the walls of the arteries...
What is medial calcific sclerosis?
Medial calcific sclerosis is a form of arteriosclerosis, or build-up in the arteries. With this type...
How can I prepare to see my doctor about arteriosclerosis obliterans?
You can prepare for your appointment to diagnose arteriosclerosis obliterans by making a complete li...
Is bypass surgery dangerous?
SCAISCAI
While every type of surgery carries some risks, it is important to note cardiac bypass surgery has b...