What parts of the body are affected by medial calcific sclerosis?

Medial calcific sclerosis usually affects the inner walls of the arteries, particularly in the lower half of the body. However, there have been cases where the calcification has affected the soft tissue, such as the pharynx. When this happens, the problem can cause other complications. For example, if the pharynx is involved the result could be sleep apnea.

Continue Learning about Arteriosclerosis

What causes arterial occlusive disease?
Richard Scherczinger, MDRichard Scherczinger, MD
Arterial occlusive disease or peripheral arterial occlusive disease (PAOD) results either from a...
How common is medial calcific sclerosis?
Just under 7 percent of women and about 13 percent of men have some level of medial calcific scleros...
What is arteriolosclerosis?
Arteriolosclerosis is a disease affecting the arterioles, or small blood vessels, that carry importa...
How can I prepare to see my doctor about arteriosclerosis obliterans?
You can prepare for your appointment to diagnose arteriosclerosis obliterans by making a complete li...