Is Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome (WPW) an arrhythmia?

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome (WPW) is a type of arrhythmic disorder. During a regular heartbeat, electrical pulses cause the heart muscle to contract in a regular, rhythmic pattern, pumping blood throughout your body. These electrical pulses follow a specific pathway through the heart. In WPW, an additional pathway exists, and the electrical signal arrives too soon. In some people WPW causes rapid heartbeat, dizziness and palpitations. The most common and effective treatment is to disrupt the extra, unnecessary pathway using ablation.

Continue Learning about Arrhythmia

Concerned about Afib? Get Aggressive about Losing Weight
Some people describe a surge of romantic passion as your heart “skipping a beat,” but if your doctor tells you this, it may mean you have (or are he...
What is the success rate of cardiac ablation for atrial fibrillation?
The overall success rate of cardiac ablation for atrial fibrillation is approximately 80 percent, bu...
How can I find out if my pacemaker is working properly?
Robert J. Subbiondo, MDRobert J. Subbiondo, MD
A doctor can tell you if a pacemaker is working properly, says Robert Subbiondo, MD, from Blake Medi...
What Are Some Common Issues with Heart Rhythms?