Should I call my doctor if I have an arrhythmia?

A person should contact their doctor for an arrhythmia if they are experiencing symptoms.

Dr. Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Practitioner
Call your doctor if you think you have an arrhythmia. Because an arrhythmia is a change or disturbance to your normal heart rhythm, it's important to seek immediate medical assistance to get a proper diagnosis and the correct treatment. With an arrhythmia, the heart rate is irregular, too fast (tachycardia), or too slow (bradycardia). An arrhythmia is caused when the heart's natural pacemaker (the sinus node) fires too rapidly, causing a fast heartbeat, or not fast enough, causing a slow heartbeat. Common triggers of arrhythmias include alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, decongestants, stress, thyroid disease, high blood pressure, or other health problems. If you experience an arrhythmia, you should call your doctor or go to the emergency room.

Continue Learning about Arrhythmia

Concerned about Afib? Get Aggressive about Losing Weight
Concerned about Afib? Get Aggressive about Losing Weight
Some people describe a surge of romantic passion as your heart “skipping a beat,” but if your doctor tells you this, it may mean you have (or are he...
Read More
What does it mean when my heart flutters?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
Heart palpitations are a feeling of one’s heart fluttering, skipping a beat or beating too hard and ...
More Answers
Who should I tell about my implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)?
Robert J. Subbiondo, MDRobert J. Subbiondo, MD
The ICD is part of a patient's medical record, and its existence should be made known to any healthc...
More Answers
What Are Some Common Issues with Heart Rhythms?
What Are Some Common Issues with Heart Rhythms?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.