What medications might I receive to treat a cardiac arrhythmia?

To treat a cardiac arrhythmia there are several different classes of medications that your doctor may prescribe. The most common class of medications would be beta blockers, such as metoprolol. Beta blockers work at the level of the cells that make up your heart muscle and help regulate how the electrical impulses that cause your heart to beat flow through your heart. There are other classes of medications and your doctor will chose the one most appropriate for you.
Any medication will depend upon the details of your particular condition. In general, medication that treats related conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease, or heart failure also can prevent and control arrhythmias. Sometimes anti-coagulants or blood thinners also are prescribed to reduce a patient’s risk of blood clots or stroke, as an arrhythmia prevents the heart from pumping properly.

Continue Learning about Arrhythmia

Heart Defects at Birth May Affect Heart Rhythm—Even Years Later
Odds are, you’ve heard of a congenital heart defect (CHD). It’s the most common type of birth defect—a problem with one or more structures of the hear...
How do I manage my arrhythmia on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If your arrhythmia is serious, your doctor may prescribe medication to regulate your heartbeat. It i...
What is a Holter monitor?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A Holter monitor is a device that records your heart’s activity for 24 to 48 hours, while you go abo...
What Are Some Common Issues with Heart Rhythms?