Should I talk to my doctor about my arrhythmia symptoms?

Deb Cordes
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Yes, it is important to talk with you doctor about your arrhythmia symptoms. Especially if you are having shortness of breath, dizziness, chest pain the doctor needs to know this information. It will be important to tell the doctor what your symptoms are, when you are experiencing these (e.g. during exercise or resting) and how long they last. This information will help your doctor decide on what type of tests he/she needs to perform.

While many cases of arrhythmia are not harmful, some can have serious effects on the body including cardiac arrest and stroke. It is always a good idea to talk to your doctor about an irregular heartbeat, even if it is not serious. If you experience an irregular heartbeat in conjunction with dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath, or an episode of fainting, seek urgent medical care. If your heart beats rapidly and erratically, this may be a dangerous form of arrhythmia known as ventricular fibrillation. Your heart is struggling to pump blood, and failing to do so. Ventricular fibrillation can cause an immediate collapse, and requires an electrical shock to restart your heart. Portable defibrillators are available in many public places to treat this condition.

Continue Learning about Arrhythmia Symptoms

What does an arrhythmia feel like?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Many rhythms, such as premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) and (PACs), can create a sensation o...
What are the signs of arrhythmia?
Dr. Vivek Y. Reddy, MDDr. Vivek Y. Reddy, MD
Occasionally people experience palpitations, or heightened awareness of their heartbeat. It is commo...
What are the symptoms of a cardiac arrhythmia?
Occasionally people experience palpitations or heightened awareness of their heartbeat. It is common...
What are the symptoms of ventricular tachycardia (VT)?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Ventricular tachycardia can lead to shortness of breath, chest pain, lightheadedness or loss of cons...