If my heart occasionally skips a beat, do I have arrhythmia?

Dr. Andrea C. Bryan, MD
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Almost everyone occasionally “skips” a beat. This is caused by a compensatory pause after an early beat. This does not mean that you have an arrhythmia. A test called a Holter monitor can be done to be sure no other arrhythmia is present.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Dr. Indrajit Choudhuri, MD
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

A "skipped" beat is generally related to a heart beat that occurs earlier than expected, so that after the early beat there is a pause or delay that is longer than usual until the next heart beat, giving the sense of "skipping" or missing a heart beat.

This would be considered an arrhythmia and is related to premature beats known as premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) or premature atrial contraction (PACs). They are themselves not dangerous but may signify underlying heart disease so it is important to see your doctor for any sense of change in heart rhythm.

Dr. Charan Kantipudi
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Any heart rhythm irregularity is called arrhythmia. However, some of these are not dangerous. Some could be life threatening.

Usually a skipped beat occurs due to a premature heart beat either from the upper or lower heart chamber. There is a time gap after a premature heart beat that gives you a feeling of skipped heart beat.

If these are very frequent, they need to be evaluated.

Arrhythmia is a change to the regular, rhythmic beating of your heart. A fluttering, heart palpitation, or "skipping a beat" sensation may be a symptom of arrhythmia. Do not panic; millions of Americans experience these sensations every year and have a harmless case of arrhythmia. If you experience other symptoms such as dizziness, unexplained fainting, shortness of breath, or chest pain you may have arrhythmia. Your doctor can determine what type of arrhythmia you might have and if you are at risk for any serious complications.

Continue Learning about Arrhythmia Symptoms

Should I talk to my doctor about my arrhythmia symptoms?
Deb CordesDeb Cordes
Yes, it is important to talk with you doctor about your arrhythmia symptoms. Especially if you are h...
What are the different types of arrhythmia?
Dr. Andrea C. Bryan, MDDr. Andrea C. Bryan, MD
Arrhythmias, or heart rhythm disorders, can be electrical, circulatory, or structural in origin. The...
What are the symptoms of a cardiac arrhythmia?
Dr. Vivek Y. Reddy, MDDr. Vivek Y. Reddy, MD
Occasionally people experience palpitations or heightened awareness of their heartbeat. It is common...
What are the symptoms of ventricular tachycardia (VT)?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Ventricular tachycardia can lead to shortness of breath, chest pain, lightheadedness or loss of cons...