How can I use aromatherapy to help reduce stress?

Aromatherapy can be a fantastic stress buster. Take a clean sock and fill it with dried lavender, cinnamon and rosemary -- all of which have been shown to lower anxiety levels. Fill it to the size of a tomato and tie it off. Repeatedly squeeze the sock to release tension and get a blast of stress-blasting scents. As a bonus, when you’re finished, leave it in your sock drawer to save money on store-bought potpourri and leave your clothes smelling fresh.
John Preston, PsyD
Aromatherapy can help you to de-stress. Chamomile is known for calming the stomach and mind, as are the scents of lavender and ylang ylang. You can buy these items at shops that sell home and bath products. You can keep them in your office, put drops on your pillow, or use them in candle or essential oil form to scent a room or your bathtub. You can also use edible herbs as tea (as in the case of chamomile).
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine

Simple fragrances can significantly reduce stress. In this video, psychotherapist Mike Dow explains why they're so powerful.

Shawn Talbott, PhD

Aromatherapy is a technique you can use to reduce stress immediately. Watch nutrition expert Shawn Talbott, PhD, explain how the elements in essential oils like eucalyptus and lavender travel directly to your brain to calm your stress response.

Continue Learning about Aromatherapy

The Health Benefits of Aromatherapy
The Health Benefits of Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy is a complementary treatment that uses essential oils to enhance relaxation and boost mental sharpness. If you love scents—concocted by d...
What is aromatherapy?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Aromatherapy is a type of complementary and alternative medicine that uses plant oils that give off ...
What is lavender aromatherapy good for?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
I use lavender combinations with my patients with cancer and other critical diseases. I also use...
What Are the Benefits of Aromatherapy During Childbirth?