How can I use aromatherapy to help reduce stress?

Shawn Talbott, PhD

Aromatherapy is a technique you can use to reduce stress immediately. Watch nutrition expert Shawn Talbott, PhD, explain how the elements in essential oils like eucalyptus and lavender travel directly to your brain to calm your stress response.

Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine

Simple fragrances can significantly reduce stress. In this video, psychotherapist Mike Dow explains why they're so powerful.

John Preston, PsyD
Aromatherapy can help you to de-stress. Chamomile is known for calming the stomach and mind, as are the scents of lavender and ylang ylang. You can buy these items at shops that sell home and bath products. You can keep them in your office, put drops on your pillow, or use them in candle or essential oil form to scent a room or your bathtub. You can also use edible herbs as tea (as in the case of chamomile).
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...
Aromatherapy can be a fantastic stress buster. Take a clean sock and fill it with dried lavender, cinnamon and rosemary -- all of which have been shown to lower anxiety levels. Fill it to the size of a tomato and tie it off. Repeatedly squeeze the sock to release tension and get a blast of stress-blasting scents. As a bonus, when you’re finished, leave it in your sock drawer to save money on store-bought potpourri and leave your clothes smelling fresh.

Continue Learning about Aromatherapy

The Health Benefits of Aromatherapy
The Health Benefits of Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy is a complementary treatment that uses essential oils to enhance relaxation and boost mental sharpness. If you love scents—concocted by d...
Can aromatherapy treat pregnancy discomfort?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Aromatherapy is one homeopathic remedy that has been demonstrated to help with insomnia. Adding esse...
What are the different types of aromatherapy?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
The different types of aromatherapy are cosmetic, massage, and olfactory. However, regardless of...
How Can I Use Aromatherapy to Help Reduce Stress?