How should I choose aromatherapy scents?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
There are many aromatherapy books on the market, but I prefer a more nose-on approach. I suggest that a person go to any store where they normally shop. Even grocery stores and pharmacies all have a variety of aromatherapy products. Start by literally smelling the products, close your eyes, and be aware of how your mind, body, and soul experience that particular aroma. Ask yourself how this aroma makes you feel. Purchase the smallest quantity possible to experiment with each fragrance. You may want to begin with some body cream, a candle, incense, or an essential oil. I personally suggest that a person choose one aroma that calms and centers you, and another aroma that perks your senses and makes you feel alive. Aromatherapy is a very individual thing. Your nose will tell you what works for you.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Aromatherapy

The Health Benefits of Aromatherapy
The Health Benefits of Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy is a complementary treatment that uses essential oils to enhance relaxation and boost mental sharpness. If you love scents—concocted by d...
How can I use scents in the shower to improve my mood?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Smell is the most powerful of our senses. Experiment with different scents according to your moo...
What are the different types of aromatherapy?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
The different types of aromatherapy are cosmetic, massage, and olfactory. However, regardless of...
How Can I Use Aromatherapy to Help Reduce Stress?