What exercises will strengthen my forearms?

To really enhance the strength in your forearms, try to incorporate exercises into your resistance program that challenge your ability to grip and hold onto the resistance you are using.  Many of the muscles in the forearms control the function of the fingers and are endurance based. Therefore, performing exercises that challenge your ability to grip for prolonged periods of time will greatly stimulate the forearm muscles.  Some examples of exercises that will really stress and challenge your grip include, but are not limited to, deadlifts, rows, pull-ups, pull-downs, and farmer's walks.  A farmer's  walk is an exercise in which you hold on to heavy dumbbells or resistance bars at each side of the body and carry them for a pre-determined distance or time without compensation.  You can also vary the previously mentioned exercises by changing the thickness of the grip by wrapping a towel around the bar(s) or dumbbell(s), or by using performance grip products.  The thicker grip will stress the forearm muscles more than a thinner grip.  Additionally, since the forearm muscles not only control the fingers but also work to extend and flex the wrist, it is not innappropriate to perform isolated strengthening exercises  such as resisted wrist extensions or wrist curls as a supplement to your heavier compound lifts.

Continue Learning about Arm Exercises

Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Call it the Sleeveless Swing: You wave hello to someone and that bit of upper arm flab keeps on swaying and flapping long after you’ve moved on down t...
How can I get rid of the flab underneath my arms?
Weight Watchers®Weight Watchers®
Muscular definition is the key to good-looking arms. To accomplish this, you need to reduce the amou...
What bicep exercises are good for beginners?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Here is a good bicep exercise for beginners: Sit on the bench or a chair with a dumbbell in your...
How do I do side bicep curls?
Stand with your feet together and place an exercise band under the arches of your feet. With han...