How should I do triceps extension exercises?

Before you start, warm up your muscles with 5 to 10 minutes of brisk walking, slow jogging or gentle stretching.

Triceps extensions are so easy you can do them lying down. You'll need a dumbbell of the weight of your choice and a flat surface to lie on, whether it's a couch, bed or carpeted floor. Women may want to start with dumbbells weighing 2 to 10 pounds, and men may start with up to 20 pounds. Test them for one repetition to find what's comfortable.

Lying on your back, hold the dumbbell in one hand and extend your arm toward the ceiling. Then bend your arm down at a 90-degree angle so that your elbow is pointing toward the ceiling and the dumbbell is over your forehead. Now, slowly straighten your arm again, moving the weight upward. You should feel tension in the back of your upper arm -- your triceps. Slowly lower the weight down and up, and repeat 10 to 15 times before changing arms.

Do two or three sets on each side.

For many people, one set of 12 repetitions with the proper weight can build strength as effectively as three sets of the same exercise. After doing this exercise two or three days a week for several weeks, you can increase the amount of weight you're using.

Whenever performing a triceps strength training exercise maintaining ideal postural alignment is imperative to minimize injury risk. Below are instructions for a lying triceps extension exercise.

1. Lie on flat bench

2. Feet should be flat on the bench, shoulder-width apart, with toes pointing straight ahead.

3. Hold dumbbells in each hand, with elbows pointing toward the sky.

4. Maintain a drawn-in position.

5. Extend both elbows contracting your triceps.

6. Return to starting position and repeat for the desired amount of repetitions.

Continue Learning about Arm Exercises

Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Call it the Sleeveless Swing: You wave hello to someone and that bit of upper arm flab keeps on swaying and flapping long after you’ve moved on down t...
How do I do side bicep curls?
Stand with your feet together and place an exercise band under the arches of your feet. With han...
If I want to build up my biceps, should I work them every day?
You should not train your biceps every day. Your body actually reaps the benefits of strength traini...
How do I do the arm-waves exercise for external rotation?
This is best performed side-lying, but can also be performed in the prone position. Lie on your left...