How do I get bigger biceps?

Building bigger biceps requires the right combination of proper nutrition, recovery, resistance training exercises that progressively challenge your arm muscles, and use of correct training variables. Assuming your nutrition and recovery are where they need to be for you to reach your goals, any upper-body resistance exercises that involve the biceps will help them get to get bigger as long as the correct training variables are used. Often an overlooked component in resistance training programs, training variables consist of the amount of resistance or intensity used for each exercise; the number of sets, repetitions, and exercises you perform for each of the body parts or muscle groups you are training; the tempo, or the speed at which you perform your exercises; and the amount of rest that you take between sets. Research shows that the ideal training variables to enhance muscle size are to perform 3 to 5 sets of 6-12 repetitions at a relatively high intensity (75%-85% of your maximum) for each exercise, and allowing only up to 1 minute of rest between sets. In order to challenge and overload the arms with the appropriate intensity or weight necessary to enhance muscle size, bicep curl variations and compound exercises involving more than one muscle group that challenge your biceps and gripping muscles such as deadlifts, pull-ups, and rows are highly recommended.

Continue Learning about Arm Exercises

Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Call it the Sleeveless Swing: You wave hello to someone and that bit of upper arm flab keeps on swaying and flapping long after you’ve moved on down t...
What should I avoid when doing the arm-slides exercise?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The arm slides exercise restores normal biomechanics and strengthens key muscles involved in rot...
How do I perform a seated biceps curl alternate arm?
Sit with feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder-width apart.  Extend your arms down the sid...
How do I do the arm-waves exercise for external rotation?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The arm-waves exercise (an exercise that helps restore normal range of motion to the shoulder joint)...