How do I build bigger arms?

Building bigger arms requires the right combination of proper nutrition, recovery, resistance training exercises that progressively challenge your arm muscles, and use of correct training variables. Assuming your nutrition and recovery are where they need to be for you to reach your goals, any upper-body resistance exercises that involve the arms will help them get to get bigger as long as the correct training variables are used. Often an overlooked component in resistance training programs, training variables consist of the amount of resistance or intensity used for each exercise; the number of sets, repetitions, and exercises you perform for each of the body parts or muscle groups you are training; the tempo, or the speed at which you perform your exercises; and the amount of rest that you take between sets.

Research shows that the ideal training variables to enhance muscle size are to perform 3 to 5 sets of 6-12 repetitions at a relatively high intensity (75%-85% of your maximum) for each exercise, and allowing only up to 1 minute of rest between sets. In order to challenge and overload the arms with the appropriate intensity or weight necessary to enhance muscle size, muscle-specific and compound exercises involving more than one muscle group that challenge your arms and gripping muscles such as deadlifts, pull-ups, rows, and presses are highly recommended.

Continue Learning about Arm Exercises

Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Call it the Sleeveless Swing: You wave hello to someone and that bit of upper arm flab keeps on swaying and flapping long after you’ve moved on down t...
How should I do a triceps dip?
Memorial Hospital JacksonvilleMemorial Hospital Jacksonville
To perform a triceps dip, support your weight with your hands on the edge of a chair and walk your f...
How should I do a two-arm bicep curl?
When performing biceps curls proper posture is essential to limit injury risk. Stand with your abdom...
How do I perform a seated biceps curl two arm?
Sit with feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder-width apart.  Extend your arms down the sid...