How should I do a triceps dip?

To perform a triceps dip, support your weight with your hands on the edge of a chair and walk your feet out. Watch Heather Carty, of Memorial Hospital Jacksonville's H.E.A.R.T Fitness Center, demonstrate the proper way to perform a triceps dip. 
Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
Here's how to do a triceps dip:

Reps: 8-12
Sets: 1-3
Intensity: Moderate to high
Tempo: 2-2
Rest: 30-90 seconds between sets

Starting position: Sit near the edge of a sturdy chair with your legs partly extended, knees bent, and heels touching the floor. Put your palms down on the chair next to your hips and curve your fingers over the edge. Pushing down on your hands, raise your buttocks up a bit and move them forward to clear the edge of the chair.

Movement: Bend your elbows and lower your hips toward the floor. Straighten your arms to return to the starting position.

Tips and techniques:
  • Maintain a neutral spine throughout, keeping your back close to the chair.
  • Keep your arms near your sides and your elbows pointing toward the back of the chair.
  • Exhale as you extend your arms.

Too hard? Lower your body less toward the floor.

Too easy? Fully extend your legs in the starting position.

Continue Learning about Arm Exercises

Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Call it the Sleeveless Swing: You wave hello to someone and that bit of upper arm flab keeps on swaying and flapping long after you’ve moved on down t...
How can I get tighter firmer arms?
Jeremiah Forster, NASM Elite TrainerJeremiah Forster, NASM Elite Trainer
Will make this extremely simple and then would suggest that you look at some of the other posts on t...
Will doing triceps exercises help my arms get leaner?
Unfortunately, working the triceps with resistance exercises will not lead to targeted fat-loss ...
How do I get bigger biceps?
Building bigger biceps requires the right combination of proper nutrition, recovery, resistance trai...