Why should I read the labels of apple juice and other foods before buying?

Apple juice made from apple concentrate is not just popular in juice boxes. Often used instead of refined sugar, apple juice is used to sweeten candy, cereals, snack bars and more. Despite its ubiquity in our country's kitchens, most apple juice is not all-American. In just one type of juice, there can be apple concentrate from up to seven countries. Although arsenic has been banned in the US for decades, it’s not always regulated in other countries where it may be in the water supply or used in pesticides contaminating the juice you're giving to your children.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Apple Juice

What are the arsenic levels in apple juice?
The Dr. Oz Show tested three dozen samples from five different brands of apple juice across three di...
Why should the FDA set a standard for arsenic levels in apple juice?
In July, 2013, the FDA announced that it plans to limit inorganic arsenic -- the more harmful kind -...
Why might juice made from apples from other countries contain arsenic?
The US Geological Survey says China is the world’s largest producer of arsenic, a heavy metal and kn...
How do I read an apple juice box to know where the ingredients come from?
The way countries are listed on juice boxes can be misleading. If it says "A Product of Canada," thi...