What should I do if I think I have appendicitis?

If you think you have appendicitis go immediately to the emergency room. Time is of the essence in treating this condition. It is important to remove the appendix before it bursts, if at all possible.

Joan Haizlip, MSN
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

If you think you have appendicitis you should seek medical attention immediately. You need to go the emergency room right away. Surgery is required to prevent complications of appendicitis.

The symptoms of appendicitis are abdominal pain, nausea or a temperature change. Consider seeing your doctor or emergency room if you are experiencing these symptoms.

If you think you have appendicitis, notify your doctor and seek medical attention. Appendicitis worsens quickly. If your symptoms have been present for less than a day there is a good chance your appendix is not ruptured. If you have been having symptoms more than two days or have fever or chills, it is possible your appendix may be ruptured.

Continue Learning about Appendicitis

How Do Antibiotics Treat Appendicitis?
How Do Antibiotics Treat Appendicitis?
In the 1984 film Dumb and Dumber, after Lloyd (Jim Carrey) gets robbed by an old lady on a motorized cart, he says to Harry (Jeff Daniels), “I didn't ...
Do I have to change my life after my appendix is removed?
Joan Haizlip, MSNJoan Haizlip, MSN
Once your appendix is removed you can live a normal life again. You will not need to make any change...
What is appendicitis?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
Appendicitis is a localized inflammation of the appendix, usually due to blockage.
How Is Appendicitis Treated?
How Is Appendicitis Treated?