What is recovery like after an appendectomy?

After an appendectomy, people should feel better than they did before. They may need a little medicine for pain, and they should be able to eat and drink when the doctor says it’s okay. People may stay in the hospital from just a few hours to a few days, depending on how they feel. The belly might be sore during healing but should be back to normal in a few weeks. The doctor lets people know when it's okay to get back to regular activities, like sports.

Right after the procedure, the patient will be in a recovery room where blood pressure, pulse and breathing will be monitored. During this time, the removed tissue will be examined by a pathologist. Recovery may also include pain medications, antibiotics to prevent infection, medication to prevent blood clots and resuming movement within 24 hours of surgery. If the appendix ruptured, drainage tubes will be removed after a few days.

Recovery time for the procedure is generally 10 to 14 days, and in some cases sooner. Patients will be advised to slowly increase activities as approved by their provider, and to avoid exercise or heavy lifting immediately after surgery. Following the provider’s instruction is of paramount importance to healing quickly and effectively.

Continue Learning about Appendectomy

When should I call the doctor after my child's appendectomy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After your child's appendectomy, call your doctor if:Your child has a fever above 101 degrees F th...
What is recovery like for a child after an appendectomy?
Corey W. Iqbal, MDCorey W. Iqbal, MD
Children recover remarkably well after an appendectomy if the appendix has not burst. Most children ...
How is an appendectomy performed in children?
The only effective treatment for appendicitis is an operation to remove the appendix, called an ap...
How long will my child stay in the hospital after an appendectomy?
Most children stay in the hospital one to three days after an appendectomy if the appendix did not...