What is recovery like for a child after an appendectomy?

Children recover remarkably well after an appendectomy if the appendix has not burst. Most children are ready to go home on the same day as surgery with only a 2 percent chance of developing an infection. However, if the appendix has burst, the post-operative course is much different due to several factors. First, when infection spills in the abdomen, the intestines get irritated and temporarily stop working. Therefore, children with a burst appendix are not immediately able to eat or drink until the infection clears. In order for the infection to clear children usually require intravenous antibiotics. This takes on average three to five days at which time they can be switched to antibiotic pills or liquid and go home. However, in 20 percent of cases of burst appendix, the infection persists which can require additional procedures and an extended course of intravenous antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Appendectomy

How are appendectomies performed?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Doctors perform appendectomies through two to three very small incisions in the belly. Doctors give ...
How is an appendectomy performed in children?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The only effective treatment for appendicitis is an operation to remove the appendix, called an ap...
When should my child go for a follow-up exam after an appendectomy?
Your surgeon will schedule a follow-up exam, usually one to three weeks after your child's appende...
How should I care for my child after an appendectomy?
After an appendectomy, your child will probably not be in any pain when she leaves the hospital. J...