How is an appendectomy performed in children?

The only effective treatment for appendicitis is an operation to remove the appendix, called an appendectomy. Antibiotics are usually started before the operation so they can stop the infection from spreading. They will be given through an IV (a tiny tube inserted in a vein). The antibiotics only help the operation; they can't treat the appendicitis itself.

The appendectomy is done in the operating room with general anesthesia. This means your child will be completely asleep and unaware of any pain during the procedure. In most cases, the appendix will be removed through a small surgical opening in the lower right part of the belly.

After the operation, your child will be watched carefully in the recovery room for about one hour. When she is stable and awake enough, she will be moved to a hospital room.

Continue Learning about Appendectomy

What should I expect after my child's appendectomy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After your child's appendectomy, nurses will make every effort to keep your child comfortable, cle...
How long will my child stay in the hospital after an appendectomy?
Most children stay in the hospital one to three days after an appendectomy if the appendix did not...
What is recovery like for a child after an appendectomy?
Corey W. Iqbal, MDCorey W. Iqbal, MD
Children recover remarkably well after an appendectomy if the appendix has not burst. Most children ...
What is an appendectomy?
An appendectomy is a surgery to remove the appendix (small finger-shaped pouch at the end of the fir...