How do I treat a canker sore naturally?

Canker sores usually heal naturally over a period of one to two weeks. Some products may improve the time they take to heal, but there is little research supporting this. If you have a canker sore that does not go away in two weeks, see your doctor or dentist, who can prescribe medicine that can help treat the pain.

Here are some strategies some people have tried to get rid of canker sores more quickly and reduce the pain:
  • Carbamide peroxide, a mixture of both peroxide and glycerin, is thought to clean out the sore and coat it.
  • Products that contain benzocaine, menthol, and eucalyptol can decrease pain and might quicken healing.
  • Homemade mouthwashes of hydrogen peroxide, salt, and baking soda have been used with mixed results. Do not swallow.
  • Dabbing water, hydrogen peroxide, and milk of magnesia directly on the canker sore may help.
  • Applying a wet bag of black tea containing tannin might help.

Continue Learning about Canker Sores

does aphthous stomatitis affect children the same as adults ?
Aphthous stomatitis (canker sore) affects children the same as adults. Both will develop the painful...
should i tell the school if my child has canker sores ?
Aphthous stomatitis (canker sore) is not contagious, so you do not need to tell the school if your c...
what is the difference between cold sores and canker sores ?
Many people confuse cold sores with canker sores. While cold sores, or oral herpes, can sometimes de...
as a teen , what can i do about my canker sores ?