Canker sores cannot be entirely prevented or eliminated as a possible problem. That's because their exact cause is uncertain but some experts believe that immune system problems, bacteria or viruses may be involved. However, these typically go away on their own within a week. For persistent problems, see your dentist.
A Answers (3)
American Dental Association answered
There's no known way to avoid canker sores, although you can try the following prevention tips:
- Avoid abrasive foods, such as crackers and chips to avoid mouth injury.
- Avoid spicy (chili peppers) or hot foods.
- Stop chewing gum, as it increases the chance you might bite the inside of your mouth.
- Be gentle when brushing your teeth, and use a mild toothpaste.
- Avoid citrus fruits and drinks (tomatoes, pineapples, grapefruit, and oranges).
- Learn to handle your stress, as emotional stress may trigger mouth ulcers.
Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered