Canker sores cannot be entirely prevented or eliminated as a possible problem. That's because their exact cause is uncertain but some experts believe that immune system problems, bacteria or viruses may be involved. However, these typically go away on their own within a week. For persistent problems, see your dentist.
- Q What is the rate of incidence for aphthous stomatitis (canker sore)?
- Q Are canker sores contagious?
- Q Do women get canker sores more often than men?
- Q When am I most likely to develop a canker sore (aphthous stomatitis)?
- Q Does tongue spasm occur more often in children than adults?
- Q What causes canker sores?