Canker sores cannot be entirely prevented or eliminated as a possible problem. That's because their exact cause is uncertain but some experts believe that immune system problems, bacteria or viruses may be involved. However, these typically go away on their own within a week. For persistent problems, see your dentist.
- Q What are my chances of having aphthous stomatitis (canker sore) recur?
- Q What causes aphthous stomatitis (canker sore)?
- Q When am I most likely to develop a canker sore (aphthous stomatitis)?
- Q Do women get canker sores more often than men?
- Q What causes mouth sores in children?
- Q Can kissing cause aphthous stomatitis (canker sore)?