What is test anxiety?

Michele Borba
These days it seems for many kids -- even if they've studied hard and done their homework -- when test day comes they're hit with a wave of panic. Butterflies hit their stomach and their heads are filled with a wave of negative thoughts: "I'm going to flunk." "I'm so dumb." And then their mind goes blank.

Diagnosis: "Test Anxiety." It's a growing new condition for students these days. Almost 20 percent of tweens and teens experience test anxiety, but with today's high-stakes testing, the condition is being diagnosed in even our youngest students.

Make no mistake, test-taking anxiety can be costly to our children's academic success as well as their emotional and physical well-being. What's more, stress from test anxiety can reduce kids' ability to focus and cause them to even "choke" on those answers that they studied for.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Anxiety

How to Stop a Panic Attack in 5 Simple Steps
You know when you’re having a panic attack—heart racing, tunnel vision, gasping for air and control slipping away. When the fear finally passes, you m...
Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Your best option: Get help from your doctor or another health care professional. Your doctor has the tools–and knowledge–to help you put together a tr...
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
Anxious, stressed, overwhelmed? Check out these scientifically backed ways to boost mood and worry less. Anxious, stressed, overwhelmed—maybe all thre...
How Can I Tell If My Anxiety Filter Is Creating More Worry Than Necessary?