Why do some people pull their hair out?

People who are constantly pulling their hair out may be suffering from a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder. This habit - called trichotillomania - keeps happening because the puller is always searching for the perfect "pull." This behavior is sometimes called a "body-focused repetitive behavior," as is nail biting and skin picking. Seeing a doctor can be the first step in treatment. In addition to treating the trichotillomania itself, the physician may recommend that the person take measures to make hair-pulling harder to do, such as wearing gloves at night, or keeping a rubber band handy so the person can play with that instead of their hair follicles. Other treatments may include medication for depression or anxiety.
YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Anxiety

Dating App Use Linked to Social Anxiety and Loneliness
In Swiped, the HBO documentary on dating app obsessions, one frequent user reminisces about the good old days of dating. “I do remember when you used ...
What is test anxiety?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
These days it seems for many kids -- even if they've studied hard and done their homework -- whe...
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
Anxious, stressed, overwhelmed? Check out these scientifically backed ways to boost mood and worry less.
How Can I Tell If My Anxiety Filter Is Creating More Worry Than Necessary?