How do I know if I have anxiety?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
To know if you have anxiety, answer the following questions:
  • Do you frequently worry?
  • Do you have trouble feeling relaxed? When you try to relax, does your mind start racing about small problems?
  • Do you have difficulty sitting still or concentrating?
  • Are you afraid to make a decision and tend to second-guess your choices?
  • Do groups of people make you nervous or cause you to avoid social situations?
  • Do you have problems with your stomach or bowel habits?
If you answered "yes" to at least two of these questions, talk to your doctor. These feelings can be symptoms of an anxiety disorder. They can also be caused by other health problems, including low blood sugar, thyroid disease, medication side effects, or other medical conditions.
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...

Continue Learning about Anxiety

Anxiety

Anxiety

It's one thing to be nervous (adrenaline can even help you power through, say, an interview). It's another to suffer sweat-inducing, heart-pounding anxiety -- for no apparent reason -- that makes eating, sleeping, working or enjoy...

ing life difficult. In addition to generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), learn about panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and phobias.