Do anxiety disorders affect women differently than men?

Dr. Kenneth M. Rogers, MD
Psychiatrist (Therapist)

Women are much more likely to be diagnosed with anxiety disorders than men. Many women operate in a state of low-grade anxiety that may erupt into episodes of panic attacks, phobias, or anxiety disorders in the face of increased stress or biological changes—like monthly periods, the birth of a child, or menopause. Many women function in a state of constant anxiety and may not even realize the level of stress or anxiety that they are experiencing until they are asked.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Anxiety

How to Stop a Panic Attack in 5 Simple Steps
You know when you’re having a panic attack—heart racing, tunnel vision, gasping for air and control slipping away. When the fear finally passes, you m...
What can I do to stop pulling my hair out?
It helps to keep your hands occupied. Try wearing a hair scrunchie or bracelet around your wrist...
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
Anxious, stressed, overwhelmed? Check out these scientifically backed ways to boost mood and worry less.
How Can I Tell If My Anxiety Filter Is Creating More Worry Than Necessary?