Are anxiety disorders more common in men or women?

Anxiety disorders occur in both men and women, although women are twice as likely to develop an anxiety disorder as men. For example, generalized anxiety disorder affects 6.8 million adults, and women are twice as likely to be affected as men, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. Anxiety disorders also develop earlier in women than in men, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Women are also twice as likely to be affected by panic disorder and specific phobias. The US Department of Veterans Affairs also notes that women are more likely than men to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Continue Learning about Anxiety

The Risk of Benzos Overdose
The Risk of Benzos Overdose
When the Rolling Stones sang Mothers Little Helper (1966) they were talking about a drug called Miltown that was marketed aggressively to stressed-out...
What is the purpose of anxiety?
Dr. Sanam Hafeez, PsyDDr. Sanam Hafeez, PsyD
Anxiety is positive in many ways, because it motivates us to live life with purpose; however, when a...
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
Anxious, stressed, overwhelmed? Check out these scientifically backed ways to boost mood and worry less.
How Can I Tell If My Anxiety Filter Is Creating More Worry Than Necessary?