What are the benefits of non-benzodiazepines for anxiety?

Non-benzodiazepines are prescribed for insomnia, a common symptom in anxiety disorders. Medications such as zaleplon (Sonata), zolpidem (Ambien), and eszopiclone (Lunesta) have begun replacing the benzodiazepines because they are just as effective, but shorter-acting. This means that they're less likely to cause side effects, tolerance, or withdrawal symptoms.

Continue Learning about Anxiety Disorders Treatment

Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Your best option: Get help from your doctor or another health care professional. Your doctor has the tools–and knowledge–to help you put together a tr...
How can I relieve symptoms of anxiety?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
You may be able to relieve your anxiety symptoms through relaxation techniques. Many self-help t...
How should I choose the right treatment for my anxiety disorder?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
The choice of treatment depends on the type of anxiety disorder, its severity, which symptoms are pr...
How You Can Take Control of Your Anxiety