How does psychotherapy treat anxiety disorders?

Psychotherapy involves talking with your mental health care provider to understand the underlying cause for your anxiety disorder. Based on these insights, your mental health provider will then help you make behavioral changes to address these causes. Several types of psychotherapy are effective for treating anxiety disorders. These include cognitive-behavior therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, dialect behavior therapy, interpersonal therapy, and eye movement and desensitization therapy. Pyschotherapy is often used in combination with medication to treat anxiety disorders. The right type of psychotherapy for treating your anxiety disorder depends on the type and severity of the disorder and your personality.

Continue Learning about Anxiety Disorders Treatment

Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Your best option: Get help from your doctor or another health care professional. Your doctor has the tools–and knowledge–to help you put together a tr...
How do I use visual imagery to relax?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To relax through visual imagery, follow these simple steps: Go to a quiet, dimly lit room where yo...
What can I eat for lunch to ease anxiety?
Here is one of Dr. Oz’s favorite lunchtime meals for reducing anxiety, loaded with worry-fightin...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What are some ways to deal with anxiety?