How can I get help for an anxiety disorder?

Don't let anxiety get in the way of a normal life. Instead, do these things:

Visit a doctor or clinic. A doctor can help you know if your symptoms come from an anxiety disorder, another illness, or both.

Stick with your treatment. The main treatments are counseling (talk therapy) and medicine. You and your doctor can decide together what's best for you. But once you have a treatment plan, stick with it! Keep appointments with a counselor. Take medicine as directed. Don't change what you're doing without asking your doctor first.

Set healthy goals for recovery. You may not feel like sticking to your goals at first. But try to do it anyway. You will be glad you did. Here are some areas to work on:
  • Healthy relationships. Having a close friend or loved one to share your concerns and plans with can really help. Don't pull back from other people right now. Instead, set goals to get the support you need. Phone a friend every day. Attend scheduled events. Join a support group. Leave the house at least once each day. Volunteer.
  • Healthy body. Taking care of your body will help your mind too. Set goals to make sure this happens. Go for a walk every day. Drink 8 glasses of water each day. Eat 2 cups of fruit and 2 cups of vegetables every day. Avoid alcohol. Get about 8 hours of sleep every night.
  • Healthy spirit. Right now, it's good to reconnect with things that used to be fun, fulfilling, and meaningful for you. If you don't have a hobby, start one! Do your hobby every day. Listen to music. Meditate. Pray. Keep a journal. Go to the movies once a week. Read a great book.

Continue Learning about Anxiety Disorders Treatment

Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Your best option: Get help from your doctor or another health care professional. Your doctor has the tools–and knowledge–to help you put together a tr...
How can I reduce my anxiety about going to the dentist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Do you ever get nervous just thinking about going to the dentist? You might be worrying unnecess...
What are the potential risks of taking benzodiazepines for anxiety?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Benzodiazepines are commonly used in the treatment of anxiety, but they can cause drowsiness, sedati...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What are some ways to deal with anxiety?