How should I choose the right treatment for my anxiety disorder?

The choice of treatment depends on the type of anxiety disorder, its severity, which symptoms are predominant, and whether you have certain other conditions, such as depression, alcohol dependence, or another anxiety disorder. Other factors influence the choice of treatment, including your age (for example, older people are more apt to have side effects when taking benzodiazepines) and your personal preferences. You and your doctor should discuss the benefits and side effects of each treatment before deciding which one, or which combination, to use.

Continue Learning about Anxiety Disorders Treatment

Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Your best option: Get help from your doctor or another health care professional. Your doctor has the tools–and knowledge–to help you put together a tr...
How can mindfulness meditation help treat anxiety disorders?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
While CBT and medication have proven to be highly effective options for treating anxiety disorders, ...
What is a natural remedy for nervousness?
Passionflower is a great natural solution for nervousness because it has the same properties as ...
What Are the Natural Treatments for Anxiety?