Who can I talk to about getting help as a veteran with anxiety disorder?

If you believe you may have an anxiety disorder, you can talk to your family doctor about your symptoms. Your doctor will help you determine what condition your symptoms suggest, whether it be an anxiety disorder or another condition. If your doctor diagnoses anxiety disorder, you will likely get a referral to a mental health specialist, who can then recommend therapy or medication as needed. Veterans with anxiety disorder have additional resources for getting help. Veterans Health Administration (VHA) provides mental health care through Vet Centers, primary care clinics, and community-based outpatient clinics. You might also contact the Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (DcoE). They have a 24/7 help line, at 866-966-1020.
Pam Hays
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Only 40-50% of veterans are registered with the VHA (Veterans Health Administration, more commonly known as the VA)  to receive benefits.  If you a veteran who has not registered for VHA services, it could be worth your while to visit your closest VA Clinic or Health Center and sign up.  Being forthright with your symptoms and concerns is the best way to get the help you need. Find a care provider that listens to your concerns, acknowledges your challenges and communicates effectively with you on the courses of treatment. 

Continue Learning about Anxiety Disorders Treatment

Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Top Treatments for Anxiety Disorders
Your best option: Get help from your doctor or another health care professional. Your doctor has the tools–and knowledge–to help you put together a tr...
What are some alternative therapies to treat anxiety?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
Medications are just one part of a comprehensive treatment plan for anxiety; cognitive therapy, mind...
How should I manage my anxiety disorder to prevent a relapse?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Mental health disorders don't lend themselves to quick fixes, and anxiety is no exception. Although ...
How You Can Take Control of Your Anxiety