What is anticipatory anxiety?

Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
People with social anxiety often experience what is called anticipatory anxiety, which means that they spend a lot of time having anxious thoughts about the event before it happens or catastrophizing about it. Once in the anxiety-provoking situation, the socially anxious person tends to focus on the things that worry her the most. For example, if she starts to blush or sweat, this becomes the focus of her attention, and dwelling on this sensation causes the anxiety to increase.
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder: Using DBT to Regain Control of Your Emotions and Your Life (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook)

Even if you've just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, it's likely that you've been living with it for a long time. You've probably already developed your own ways of coping with recurring...
Tamar Chansky
When we have an upcoming event, whether that's going out on a date, going on a job interview, or taking a test, because we don't know exactly how that event will turn out, our mind-- our anxious mind-- fills in the blanks with worst case scenarios. We catastrophize about what could go wrong, how we'll fail or embarrass ourselves. To overcome anticipatory anxiety, we must distinguish that "worry story" from the real story or truth about how these situations tend to turn out. So, when you hear your mind racing ahead with the "what if's" and "oh no's!" stamp that as just your worry brain, and make sure to switch over to what your realistic brain has to say about how that situation will really go. You'll feel less anxious, and chances are you'll handle those situations much more competently without worry ringing in your ears.
Anticipatory anxiety is the stress we feel before we even enter into a situation we are worried about. Watch psychologist Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD, explain how this type of anticipation can be positive and negative, and some tips to deal with it. 

Continue Learning about Living With Anxiety Disorders

Can Anxiety Lead to Weight Gain?
Can Anxiety Lead to Weight Gain?
Emotions and eating are joined at the hip—or the waist—according to a study published in the journal Menopause. Researchers found that women who are g...
How do I manage my anxiety disorders on a daily basis?
Untreated, anxiety disorders can turn everyday situations into overwhelming, frightening experiences...
How can I lessen the anxiety I feel due to threats of terrorism?
Gail M. Saltz, MDGail M. Saltz, MD
Some things you can do to lessen the anxiety you feel due to terrorism threats are to learn the real...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How can I sleep better if I have an anxiety disorder?