How do I manage my anxiety disorders on a daily basis?

Untreated, anxiety disorders can turn everyday situations into overwhelming, frightening experiences, affecting your relationship with friends, family, and coworkers. The right combination of medication and psychotherapy can help get your anxiety disorder under control.

Several lifestyle steps can also make a difference. Eat a healthy diet, get daily exercise, and avoid alcohol and caffeine. Use relaxation techniques like meditation, visualization, and yoga to manage stress. Over 40 million adults suffer from anxiety disorders; join a support group in your community and connect with others who face the same challenges you do. Work with your mental health care professional to development an effective treatment plan tailored to your lifestyle.

Continue Learning about Living With Anxiety Disorders

Can Anxiety Lead to Weight Gain?
Can Anxiety Lead to Weight Gain?
Emotions and eating are joined at the hip—or the waist—according to a study published in the journal Menopause. Researchers found that women who are g...
How can I lessen the anxiety I feel due to threats of terrorism?
Gail M. Saltz, MDGail M. Saltz, MD
Some things you can do to lessen the anxiety you feel due to terrorism threats are to learn the real...
How do anxiety disorders affect the body?
Generalized anxiety disorder places physical and mental stress on the body. People with this disord...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How can I help my partner cope with their anxiety?