How can writing in a journal help me deal with anxiety?

Devote a small pocket of time, fifteen to twenty minutes, to thinking about your main woes and stresses. For some people, especially those who suffer from insomnia because they let their worries consume their minds and rob them of the relaxation they need to fall asleep, it helps to actually write down your worries in a journal. Having them confined to paper lessens their heaviness and perceived burden. You may also find that solution to some of these problems emerge, for which you can then create a solution list. For example, if completing your tax returns has been eating away at you for weeks now because the deadline is looming, stop thinking about it and simply write down “schedule tax appointment with CPA” or “take fifteen minutes to work on taxes this weekend.” You’d be surprised by how therapeutic this exercise can be for making those worries subside or become less significant in the minds.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Living With Anxiety Disorders

Best Ways to Kick Anxiety to the Curb
Best Ways to Kick Anxiety to the Curb
It may help to know you’re not alone—everybody has anxiety to some degree. But it can be more severe for some people. And that’s when you need a plan ...
How do I manage my anxiety disorders on a daily basis?
Untreated, anxiety disorders can turn everyday situations into overwhelming, frightening experiences...
How can I lessen the anxiety I feel due to threats of terrorism?
Gail M. Saltz, MDGail M. Saltz, MD
Some things you can do to lessen the anxiety you feel due to terrorism threats are to learn the real...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How can I sleep better if I have an anxiety disorder?