How does anxiety affect health?

Celeste Robb-Nicholson
Anxiety plays a role in somatoform disorders, which are characterized by physical symptoms such as pain, nausea, weakness, or dizziness that have no apparent physical cause. It has also been implicated in several chronic physical illnesses, including heart disease, chronic respiratory disorders, and gastrointestinal conditions. When people with these disorders have untreated anxiety, the disease itself is more difficult to treat, their physical symptoms often become worse, and in some cases they die sooner.
Todd Farchione, PhD
Chronic or constant anxiety can be detrimental to health over time, due to increased levels of cortisol in the body. In this video, psychologist Todd Farchione, PhD, explains how chronic anxiety can lead to increased risk for more health issues. 

Continue Learning about Living With Anxiety Disorders

Best Ways to Kick Anxiety to the Curb
Best Ways to Kick Anxiety to the Curb
It may help to know you’re not alone—everybody has anxiety to some degree. But it can be more severe for some people. And that’s when you need a plan ...
How can extreme anxiety affect my life?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
We all get anxious from time to time, especially with the expectation of new experiences, examinat...
How can I lessen the anxiety I feel due to threats of terrorism?
Gail M. Saltz, MDGail M. Saltz, MD
Some things you can do to lessen the anxiety you feel due to terrorism threats are to learn the real...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How can I help my partner cope with their anxiety?